Monday 8 February 2010

Diamonds in the Rough


Well, its 3 days since the nasty drugs went in, and I'm feeling not so bad.

Sunday is my 8 year old's cricket coaching afternoon. I decided that I'd take drive him there and give hubby a break. The coaching place is very near the coast, so the 6 year old appeared, and asked if I would take her 'gambling.'

I have to stress here that the gambling that she was wanting was NOT an afternoon spent in the bookies with a load of old gadgies. Gambling to my 6 year old is an afternoon spent in the 'amusements' shovelling 2 pence coins down a slot in the hope of winning more 2 pence coins, or even better - a fabulous plastic prize.

Armed with a jar full of 2p pieces, we dropped the 8 year old at cricket and made for the local amusement arcade. Dingey, seedy, grubby, tacky - YES! These places are all those things, but we LOVE them, and we spent a good 45 minutes trying to win a huge pink, glass diamond balanced precariously on a ledge of coins.

With only a few coins left in the jar, we finally hit jackpot and won not 1 but TWO glass diamonds. The 6 year old was delighted, and clutched her prizes tight - 1 in each fist, as we made our way back to the car.

She's off to school with her winnings this morning. The 'show and tell' basket will be full of teddy bears, fancy drawings, photographs and other lovely stuff, but I like to think they'll look a little rough next to our 2 beautiful gambling diamonds!

No comments:

Post a Comment