Monday 25 January 2010

The Calm Before the Storm


Have you ever had a 'calm before the storm' moment?

Everything is fine, safe, normal. But somehow, you just know that the calm won't last...

All the GP had to say was, 'Its probably nothing, but I'll refer you - just in case.'

But this was a newly qualified young lad, who could barely contain his excitement.
'I need to refer you urgently,' he said, 'you're going to have a difficult few months ahead but you can get some counselling...'

You can imagine what a week that was, leading up to the first appointment with the consultant!

This was a few weeks ago now, 7 to be precise. The young lad with the magic fingertips was right, but he needn't have been quite so excited really.

The cancer was only a grade 1, it had only spread to one lymph node, and it has been sucessfully removed with two rounds of surgery.

So I guess this is the storm!

I'm an ordinary young woman. Husband. Two kids. Top scorer in the local hockey league.
Breast cancer affects so many people like me and I'm fully aware that I'm one of the lucky ones with my prognosis.

I'll be using this blog to ramble on about the next few months. Cancer was never on my list of things to do before I die
, but its on there now whether I like it or not - so here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment